Democratize Primero Access via Single-Agency Service Tier

Proposal one-liner: Create a single-agency service tier for Primero, making this powerful SaaS platform affordable for all organizations.

Value proposition: Empower all organizations, regardless of size, to leverage Primero’s power by breaking down the pricing barrier.

Brief explanation Currently, Primero’s prohibitive pricing excludes single agency rollouts and small and local organizations from leveraging Primero’s transformative tools.

Acceptance criteria Service tier draft developed and successfully tested.

Time estimation 1 month??

Risk estimation Managing multiple service tiers with different access levels and functionalities can increase operational complexity and require additional resources. Determine ways to offer a lower cost tier for single organization that doesn’t detract from higher tiers and inter-agency rollouts.

Proposal Stakeholders Primero Stakeholders

Rather than a new tier why not have a mechanism (maybe even this DAO itself) to support worthy implementations, projects or orgs who otherwise would not be able to use the SaaS platform
Security, reliability and extensability are features of the SaaS and highly skilled folks need to be paid to provide them so thats why it costs.
If not maybe its enough that the platform is open source since anyone can take the code and host it themselves

In general, I agree with that rationale, but I also think there are situations where individual organizations are “holding down the fort” in contexts where donors don’t have a lot of interest. It seems unfair to those orgs that they can’t access the same services at a more accessible price. They then have to compromise or make choices that they shouldn’t have to make between safe/unsafe systems or funding other critical aspects of their programmes. These situations also generally call for fewer services and i would like to understand where we can cut costs so that we can offer this without the larger Primero budget being negatively impacted.

1 Like

You’ve captured this well, Robert. We don’t have the capacity in house to take the open source code and run with it. Of course, where we can, we want to join inter-agency instances; however, there are settings (particularly refugee contexts) where there are no options for inter-agency rollouts, and we are the lone CP or GBV provider, so no one to share the costs with either.

Beyond IRC, we should be thinking about how local or national NGOs can use this system. That is a whole other component to scale and also to making this system accessible beyond Globla North INGOs and UN agencies.

Hi Kristy - there are two things about this proposal that I keep thinking about, and I still don’t have a good solution for:

1. noting that we operate on a cost recovery basis, how do we prevent a single agency from abusing this type of service offering and adding other orgs or use cases to the same implementation? We don’t want to have to actively enforce this, and we don’t have the means to anyway
  2. what should we advocate for when more orgs show up in the same context and want to use the Primero services? Would the service tier then have to change to a normal Tier 3?
    Thoughts anyone?

Hi Robert -

To you questions-

1. I would think only allowing this option (at least to start) to members of the board/steering committee would keep some fidelity to this. Could also go into a terms of use.

2. I think we could change the service tier from single agency to itneragency T3.

• Kristy

Thanks Kristy - yes, i think there would be plenty of demand and this could offset any cost implications. I would think we would need to identify some features/resources/services that we would have to limit. For example, limiting configurations or limiting the implementation to one server (i.e. no demo). Would that make sense?
Transitioning to Tier 3 from Tier 2 would be relatively easy i think. Anyone else have thoughts on that?